Sunday, July 22, 2012

Illustration Friday...."Carry"



Back in middle school I read this beautiful poem by Sarojini Naidu who is also known as 
"The Nightingale of India"
...and here is my illustration for this delicate and lovely poem


Palanquin Bearers

Lightly, O lightly we bear her along,
She sways like a flower in the wind of our song;
She skims like a bird on the foam of a stream,
She floats like a laugh from the lips of a dream.
Gaily, O gaily we glide and we sing,
We bear her along like a pearl on a string.

Softly, O softly we bear her along,
She hangs like a star in the dew of our song;
She springs like a beam on the brow of the tide,
She falls like a tear from the eyes of a bride.
Lightly, O lightly we glide and we sing,
We bear her along like a pearl on a string. 

poem by: Sarojini Naidu

9 comments:

  1. "She floats like a laugh from the lips of a dream".

    This is very beautiful, Sujata!
    and very poetic,
    You have chosen a beautiful poem undoubtedly
    And you know how illustrate it beautifully. congratulations!! :)))
    (I must say I came to your blog from a comment of yours in my blog, because from Illustration Friday, I could not do it :(((((((((((
    Bye byeeeeeeee have a nice week!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I realised I had incorrectly added the link the first time so I put it on Illustration friday again correctly!

      Delete
  2. Great poem and really nice illustration! So many great details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favorite poems - I would like to illustrate it in a hundred different ways if I could!

      Delete
  3. Wow...I LOVE all the detail.. this is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem and illustration too…:) btw i wanted to check if i can use the image? I do a paper craft called quilling and really eager to quill the palanquin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nima,
      Thanks for visiting my blog. Sure, go ahead and use the image, have fun!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I finished the project and this is how it looks:

      http://nimasonti.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/childhood-memory/

      Delete